Cracking Forums
VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Printable Version

+- Cracking Forums (http://www.cracking-forums.com)
+-- Forum: Game Domain (http://www.cracking-forums.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (http://www.cracking-forums.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? (/thread-110.html)

Pages: 1 2

VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Sprink - 03-19-2016

In 2016, we're going to be reaching a milestone in gaming with Virtual Reality entering the consumer market, with the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and now Playstation releasing their own headset for consoles at a cheaper price than the two competitors in the PC market. 

How do you guys feel about VR? Are you ready for it? Is the world ready for it? I think we're approaching a time where it's very much ready to enter the mainstream, and while it won't replace what we're used to, it'll definitely usher in a new era of gaming for all to enjoy.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Grungie - 03-20-2016

I'm stoked for it

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - -AnthraX- - 03-21-2016

Meh, I'll stick to my Red/Blue paper glasses thank you very much.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Crackin355 - 03-22-2016

I don't care about VR.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Queenie - 03-28-2016

I kinda want one to develop for but right now there doesn't seem to be a winner app that's making me really want one (like Wii Tennis for motion controls).

I'm gonna wait a while before getting one.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - crazysam23 - 03-28-2016

I don't feel like spending cash on what could be a fad. I'll give it a few years.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Sprink - 03-28-2016

(03-28-2016, 05:49 PM)crazysam23 Wrote: I don't feel like spending cash on what could be a fad. I'll give it a few years.

Given that it's what people have hoped to come around since the end of the 20th century, I think it's here to stay in some fashion, even if not with these particular headsets in 2016. It is absolutely smart to give it time before indulging in anyway, since I'm sure it'll have its share of growing pains during this time.

(03-28-2016, 02:12 AM)Queenie Wrote: I kinda want one to develop for but right now there doesn't seem to be a winner app that's making me really want one (like Wii Tennis for motion controls).

I'm gonna wait a while before getting one.

Right now there isn't much other than the concept itself that'll sell it to people. Hopefully as time goes on that'll change.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Daevangelion - 03-29-2016

VR has been around in various formats for the past 30 years commercially, I honestly didn't see that much different from earlier attempts. The technology is still no where near ready based on my experiences with recent devices (OR,Vive).

It is going to come down to as Queenie said, to the winner/killer app for VR. I think one of the main issues that afflicted the early attempts was that computers did not have the processing power to do anything useful with it.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - crazysam23 - 03-29-2016

(03-28-2016, 11:30 PM)Sprink Wrote:
(03-28-2016, 05:49 PM)crazysam23 Wrote: I don't feel like spending cash on what could be a fad. I'll give it a few years.

Given that it's what people have hoped to come around since the end of the 20th century, I think it's here to stay in some fashion, even if not with these particular headsets in 2016. It is absolutely smart to give it time before indulging in anyway, since I'm sure it'll have its share of growing pains during this time.

Problem is, will it become something just for your rich friend? Or will it actually become viable tech? All indications so far are that it's for everyone's rich friend and not for the general populace right now. In order to be viable, the following needs to happen:
  • The price of the VR headsets themselves needs to go down. 
  • The price of components required to use VR headsets in your PC needs to go down.
  • More VR compatible game support needs to be there, either new games with VR support or VR support for old games. It's all well and good to say that the headset can present any game as VR, but the majority of games don't support VR peripherals yet. This will make or break VR, imho.

RE: VR Headsets - How do you feel about them? - Sprink - 03-29-2016

(03-29-2016, 03:24 PM)crazysam23 Wrote: Problem is, will it become something just for your rich friend? Or will it actually become viable tech? All indications so far are that it's for everyone's rich friend and not for the general populace right now. In order to be viable, the following needs to happen:
  • The price of the VR headsets themselves needs to go down. 
  • The price of components required to use VR headsets in your PC needs to go down.
  • More VR compatible game support needs to be there, either new games with VR support or VR support for old games. It's all well and good to say that the headset can present any game as VR, but the majority of games don't support VR peripherals yet. This will make or break VR, imho.

You're correct. Currently, since it's so new it's catering to a niche audience with enough money to just toss aside, as you can imagine with innovative technology. While Sony is already taking the approach of making it for a more affordable product, it still asks high for what is a low gain right now. The years to follow will surely see it drop in price, see hardware rise up to its level, and will see it have more to offer.