Cracking Forums
General Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Cracking Forums (http://www.cracking-forums.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (http://www.cracking-forums.com/forum-20.html)
+--- Forum: Can o' Spam (http://www.cracking-forums.com/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: General Chat Thread (/thread-24.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: General Chat Thread - Sprink - 05-06-2016

You just explained euphoric neckbeard stereotypes. Sadly they exist in this world. Kinda like that guy in a Twitch chat who once said "I will ban anyone who says Final Fantasy XIII is a good FF game", or the guy who genuinely dislikes you for watching a different genre of Anime.

I see them on Twitter every now and then. I jokingly mock people I know for things they like, but it's all playful. Like the "FF7 vs FF9" war me and a friend have where we just talk shit to eachother.

RE: General Chat Thread - Grungie - 05-06-2016

Those guys just make everything boring. I think you should only ban people for causing trouble, not liking things you don't like.

RE: General Chat Thread - Sprink - 05-07-2016

Unfortunately, some people are close-minded and will call you an idiot for things that are easily subjective.

RE: General Chat Thread - crazysam23 - 05-07-2016

What bothers me is when technical improvements are made to something that made things easier to read or present things in a better manner, but people still complain. For example, the old Baldur's Gate game (made in 1998 ) used to have a UI like this:
[Image: LOrY3.png]
That's ok, but what you have to realize is that you had to scroll through like 50 lines of text sometimes to find the relevant stat you wanted to see.

So, when the game was revamped by Beamdog and rereleased as the "Enhanced Edition", the devs decided to improve the UI in one of the major patches. It now looks like this:
[Image: fk227zaiacup.jpg]
So, you wanna see class info, click on the "Class" button. Want to combat stats, click on the "Combat Stats" button. It's much easier.

But, due to nostalgia, there's a small vocal minority of players on the Beamdog forums who insist the new UI "BROKE THE GAME". LOLWUT?! I know people get used to things. (Baldur's Gate has a very active modding community and is considered a "classic" cRPG by many, so a lot of fans got used to things over the last 18 years.) But if it's easier to see the information you want to see, that's an improvement. Maybe you dislike the colors? Hey, guess what?! The new UI improvements allow you to modify the files so that the old colors are there, but info is still presented in a more efficient way.

People are stupid sometimes...

RE: General Chat Thread - Sprink - 05-07-2016

If so much as a hair is changed on something that people praised, it'll receive backlash. I remember people talking about the Steam release of the Higurashi VN chapters, and at first were bashing the new Mangagamer art:

[Image: LXcob4o.png]

And praise using the original art, which looks like this:

[Image: 2ON9QUG.jpg]

I get that it's what you're used to, but give credit where credit is due.

RE: General Chat Thread - Grungie - 05-07-2016

I know people also complain about old JRPG's being retranslated to be closer to the original script, something people always complain about, so they get retranslated, and now people are mad that they changed the script. Also games like Star Ocean 2 had godawful voice acting, and the PSP rerelease has good-decent voice acting with a better script, and people got mad.

I don't think anybody will ever be happy.

RE: General Chat Thread - Daevangelion - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 04:16 PM)crazysam23 Wrote: What bothers me is when technical improvements are made to something that made things easier to read or present things in a better manner, but people still complain. For example, the old Baldur's Gate game (made in 1998 ) used to have a UI like this:
[Image: LOrY3.png]
That's ok, but what you have to realize is that you had to scroll through like 50 lines of text sometimes to find the relevant stat you wanted to see.

So, when the game was revamped by Beamdog and rereleased as the "Enhanced Edition", the devs decided to improve the UI in one of the major patches. It now looks like this:
[Image: fk227zaiacup.jpg]
So, you wanna see class info, click on the "Class" button. Want to combat stats, click on the "Combat Stats" button. It's much easier.

But, due to nostalgia, there's a small vocal minority of players on the Beamdog forums who insist the new UI "BROKE THE GAME". LOLWUT?! I know people get used to things. (Baldur's Gate has a very active modding community and is considered a "classic" cRPG by many, so a lot of fans got used to things over the last 18 years.) But if it's easier to see the information you want to see, that's an improvement. Maybe you dislike the colors? Hey, guess what?! The new UI improvements allow you to modify the files so that the old colors are there, but info is still presented in a more efficient way.

People are stupid sometimes...

That all hinges on whether or not you can roll back the change, if it is foisted upon them with little choice in the matter, people have a tendency to be annoyed. Also that is not really a UI improvement per se, rather a redesign to take advantage of a higher resolution screen, it still suffers from the same fundamental issues which is that important information is not available without significant action involved. If I had to guess for those people complaining it broke their workflow which is annoying as balls.

Take Windows 8 for example, if you are like me and drive your computer primarily via a keyboard little changed and our workflow was largely unaffected, but for people used to driving it with a mouse, the jump to 8 completely screwed with them big time, fundamental interface concepts were replaced and the new ones had little familiarity with the old.

Why do you think projects like Start8 and Classic Shell exist? Retraining on new interfaces is an expensive operation if you are a power user.

RE: General Chat Thread - Grungie - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 07:11 PM)Daevangelion Wrote: Take Windows 8 for example, if you are like me and drive your computer primarily via a keyboard little changed and our workflow was largely unaffected, but for people used to driving it with a mouse, the jump to 8 completely screwed with them big time, fundamental interface concepts were replaced and the new ones had little familiarity with the old.

I never had much of an issue using a mouse on Windows 8. Outside of the start menu, I just go straight to the desktop and it all felt like typical Windows to me.

Also I've noticed most of the people who complained about Windows 8 mostly just looked at it and went "It's different DO NOT WANT!!!!"

RE: General Chat Thread - Sprink - 05-09-2016

(05-07-2016, 07:27 PM)Grungie Wrote: Also I've noticed most of the people who complained about Windows 8 mostly just looked at it and went "It's different DO NOT WANT!!!!"

They look at it with more of a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" PoV, and didn't see the original start menu as broken. I only ever used 8 on a laptop with a track pad, where I found it difficult to use.

10's a step up but has a lot of privacy picking I'm not a fan of. Some of it being more annoying to disable than others.

Great startup times though.

RE: General Chat Thread - Grungie - 05-09-2016

I never had any difficulty with using it with a trackpad, so I'm not sure what you found difficult with using it. The hot corner was the only thing I found stupid about it.